How is feen spelled?
Brett
2005-02-22 12:09:14 UTC
How is the word feen(?) spelled? Such as "I'm feening for chocolates".
Meaning a strong desire for something, usually some type of food.

Thanks,
Brett
soup
2005-02-22 12:14:05 UTC
Brett popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said
Post by Brett
How is the word feen(?) spelled? Such as "I'm feening for
chocolates". Meaning a strong desire for something, usually some type
of food.
Thanks,
Brett
Is this a regional use ? Have never heard feen or indeed of it.
Only way I can imagine that sentence being written is :-
"I'm HANKERING for chocolates".
--
yours S

Brett
2005-02-22 12:43:33 UTC
Post by Brett
How is the word feen(?) spelled? Such as "I'm feening for
chocolates". Meaning a strong desire for something, usually some type
of food.
Thanks,
Brett
Is this a regional use ? Have never heard feen or indeed of it.
Only way I can imagine that sentence being written is :-
"I'm HANKERING for chocolates".
It's used a lot in the US.

Brett
Bill McCray
2005-02-22 14:24:39 UTC
Post by Brett
How is the word feen(?) spelled? Such as "I'm feening for
chocolates". Meaning a strong desire for something, usually some type
of food.
Thanks,
Brett
Is this a regional use ? Have never heard feen or indeed of it.
Only way I can imagine that sentence being written is :-
"I'm HANKERING for chocolates".
It's used a lot in the US.
By whom? I haven't heard "feening".

I can imagine someone saying "I'm a fiend for chocolate", and it
wouldn't be much of a stretch to "I'm fiending for chocolate", but I
haven't heard it.

Bill
Lexington, KY, USA

Swap first and last parts of username and ISP for address.
Martyn
2005-02-22 14:08:27 UTC
Post by Brett
How is the word feen(?) spelled? Such as "I'm feening for chocolates".
Meaning a strong desire for something, usually some type of food.
I think you just made it up!

Martyn
Tony Cooper
2005-02-22 14:30:42 UTC
Post by Martyn
Post by Brett
How is the word feen(?) spelled? Such as "I'm feening for chocolates".
Meaning a strong desire for something, usually some type of food.
I think you just made it up!
There are a few references to "feening" on the web. Enough to say
that the usage exists, but hardly enough to indicate the term has any
wide usage.

The Urban Dictionary says:

1. Feen
Used by people who listen to other people who have no idea what they
are talking about. At some point I assume somewhere between Generation
X and Y someone overheard a word being used and misinterpred it. Now
legions of people born after 1977 are saying the word Feen. The word
used which they misheard is Fiend defined as a person who is craving
something in a maniacle way.
improper use of said non-word:

I'm feening some weed!

propper use:

I'm fiending some weed!

Tony Cooper
brett
2005-02-22 15:13:06 UTC
Yes - Fiend is the word. Thanks.

Brett
Tony Cooper
2005-02-22 16:07:02 UTC
Django Cat
2005-02-22 17:21:01 UTC
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:07:02 GMT, Tony Cooper
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by brett
Yes - Fiend is the word. Thanks.
No, "feen" is the word. It was "fiend", but it's now "feen" in
certain people's lexicon. Once people start using a bastardization of
a word it becomes a word even it it's ridiculous.
Consider "Ho". It was "whore", but is now a word of its own. We may
not like it, use it, or agree with it, but it is established as a word
in use.
No, Grease is the word.

DC
Robert Lieblich
2005-02-23 00:22:05 UTC
Post by Django Cat
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:07:02 GMT, Tony Cooper
[ ... ]
Post by Django Cat
Post by Tony Cooper
Consider "Ho". It was "whore", but is now a word of its own. We may
not like it, use it, or agree with it, but it is established as a word
in use.
No, Grease is the word.
Wrong again. Say da secret woid and win a hunnert dollahs.
Julius Marx
meirman
2005-02-23 15:49:27 UTC
Bill McCray
2005-02-23 02:57:50 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by brett
Yes - Fiend is the word. Thanks.
No, "feen" is the word. It was "fiend", but it's now "feen" in
certain people's lexicon. Once people start using a bastardization of
a word it becomes a word even it it's ridiculous.
Consider "Ho". It was "whore", but is now a word of its own. We may
not like it, use it, or agree with it, but it is established as a word
in use.
No, Grease is the word.
"In the beginning was the Word ..."

Bill

Swap first and last parts of username and ISP for address.
Robin Bignall
2005-02-23 00:03:24 UTC
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:07:02 GMT, Tony Cooper
<***@earthlink.net> wrote:

[fiend]
Post by Tony Cooper
--
Tony Cooper
It's not as fiendish without jots and tittles.

Hertfordshire
England
Peter Beattie
2005-02-22 17:52:39 UTC
And proper spelling, if you please. ;>
Peter
Tony Cooper
2005-02-22 18:38:48 UTC
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:52:39 +0100, Peter Beattie
Post by Peter Beattie
And proper spelling, if you please. ;>
If you'll check the post, the "propper" error was in the Urban
Dictionary spelling.

The Urban Dictionary says:

1. Feen
Used by people who listen to other people who have no idea what they
are talking about. At some point I assume somewhere between Generation
X and Y someone overheard a word being used and misinterpred it. Now
legions of people born after 1977 are saying the word Feen. The word
used which they misheard is Fiend defined as a person who is craving
something in a maniacle way.
improper use of said non-word:

I'm feening some weed!

propper use:

I'm fiending some weed!

They also misspelled "misinterpreted" and "maniacal". Those Urban
guy gots no spelling skills.

Tony Cooper
Robert Lieblich
2005-02-23 00:25:08 UTC
Post by Peter Beattie
And proper spelling, if you please. ;>
If you'll check the post, the "propper" error was in the Urban
Dictionary spelling.
Who says it was an error? Perhaps they were discussing errors (or
usages) by people who provide support to enable items to remain
vertical.

A "[sic]" would have solved the problem, Coop. No charge for the
advice.
Liebs
Tony Cooper
2005-02-23 03:46:05 UTC
Post by Peter Beattie
And proper spelling, if you please. ;>
If you'll check the post, the "propper" error was in the Urban
Dictionary spelling.
Who says it was an error? Perhaps they were discussing errors (or
usages) by people who provide support to enable items to remain
vertical.
A "[sic]" would have solved the problem, Coop. No charge for the
advice.
I thought a [sic] was used when you write something you know to be
incorrect. I didn't write anything. I copy/pasted the Urban
Dictionary definition. My error was not clearly showing where the
quote started and ended. I thought it was self-evident.

Tony Cooper
Robert Lieblich
2005-02-23 04:34:00 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by Robert Lieblich
A "[sic]" would have solved the problem, Coop. No charge for the
advice.
I thought a [sic] was used when you write something you know to be
incorrect. I didn't write anything. I copy/pasted the Urban
Dictionary definition. My error was not clearly showing where the
quote started and ended. I thought it was self-evident.
Addressing only the point about "[sic]" -- Standard practice is to
indicate an error in an exact quotation by following it with
"[sic]". It's most commonly used for spelling errors by the
original author, as when I quote someone else's writing: "He wanted
niether [sic] of the two alternatives." It can also be used to
indicate grammatical errors; again, quoting what someone else wrote:
"John don't [sic] have a clue." Or for a solecism: "George W. Bush
told the press not to misunderestimate [sic] him." Lawyers are the
most frequent users, but others follow the practice. Of course, it
can also be used to indicate that the writer intended exactly what
appears, as when the author "[sic]"s himself: "I told him I was
gonna [sic] stop him."

Here's M-W on "[sic]": ": intentionally so written -- used after a
printed word or passage to indicate that it is intended exactly as
printed or to indicate that it exactly reproduces an original <said
he seed [sic] it all>." Both bases covered.
Liebs
Tony Cooper
2005-02-23 05:54:35 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by Robert Lieblich
[...]
I'm not sure that's a good - or a practical - practice when quoting
from a source like the Urban Dictionary and some other sources.
First, with some copy/pastings, you'd go crazy dropping in [sic]s.
Consider copy/pasting something written by Young Joey.

Second, what's a spelling error? Does "She's da bomb!" contain a
spelling error? Is "feen" a spelling error?

I think I'll stick with the [sic] when the situation is such that it
affects the reader's ability to determine if the quoted, or pasted,
material follows the writer's intent and that the quoter is accurate.
In other words if I quote you when you write "It is the intend of the
law to mean....", I'll write "Bob wrote 'It is the intend [sic] of the
law to mean...'." to show that I am quoting what you wrote even though
it might appear to be an error. In that case, I'm not going to try to
figure out if "intend" is the right word as a lawyer would write the
sentence, or if you made a typographical error.

With sources like the Urban Dictionary and Young Joey, I'll plonk it
down there and let the reader decide. I should, though, indicate that
what is there has been copied and not re-written with a "begin quote"
and "end quote".

Tony Cooper
lightbulb
2005-02-22 16:27:50 UTC
Post by Brett
How is the word feen(?) spelled? Such as "I'm feening for chocolates".
Meaning a strong desire for something, usually some type of food.
Thanks,
Brett
I've only heard it used for caffeine and nicotine. Its typically used by
smokers who are having a nic-fit. I haven't heard it for about 5 years,
though, if not more. I've always imagined that it was spelled "fin." I'm
not sure why.

Mike
Martyn
2005-02-22 16:49:36 UTC
Post by Brett
How is the word feen(?) spelled? Such as "I'm feening for chocolates".
Meaning a strong desire for something, usually some type of food.
Maybe you meen 'fain' ?
ie Happily; gladly: "I would fain improve every opportunity to wonder and
worship, as a sunflower welcomes the light" (Henry David Thoreau).
1.. Archaic. Preferably; rather.
adj. Archaic.
1.. Ready; willing.
2.. Pleased; happy.