prissy, priggish, prudish, square-toed, straight-laced, tight-laced, victorian, puritanical, prim
NewIT
2010-03-11 16:55:05 UTC
does "prissy" and its synonyms have a positive or a negative meaning please?

prissy (adjective) Excessively or affectedly prim and proper.
Synonyms: priggish, prudish, square-toed, straight-laced, tight-laced,
victorian, puritanical, prim
Usage: A free-spirited party girl, I am the complete opposite of my prissy
and well-mannered sister.

Thanks in advance!
HVS
2010-03-11 17:02:53 UTC
Post by NewIT
does "prissy" and its synonyms have a positive or a negative meaning please?
prissy (adjective) Excessively or affectedly prim and proper.
Synonyms: priggish, prudish, square-toed, straight-laced, tight-laced,
victorian, puritanical, prim
Usage: A free-spirited party girl, I am the complete opposite of my
prissy and well-mannered sister.
It's negative. (Most of the synonyms are, too, although "straight-laced" and
"prim" aren't invariably used that way.)
--
Cheers, Harvey
CanEng and BrEng, indiscriminately mixed
Clive
2010-03-11 19:06:40 UTC

Yes, no-one wants to be called 'prissy', or any of those
other things.
I've never heard the term 'square-toed'.

Clive

El tango argentino es un pensamiento triste que se puede bailar (The
tango argentino is a sad thought which can be danced) Enrique Santos
Discépolo

Clive: http://www.englishforums.com/user/drqr/profile.htm