a tremendous glimpse of the obvious
Kevin70s
2009-01-27 16:43:03 UTC
I came across the following two terms in my reading every once in a
while and was not sure about their meanings. would appreciate your
help.
a blinding glimpse of the obvious
a tremendous glimpse of the obvious
Andrew Heenan
What appears to be the problem with them?
Kevin70s
2009-02-01 04:11:22 UTC
Post by Andrew Heenan
Post by Kevin70s
I came across the following two terms in my reading every once in a
while and was not sure about their meanings. would appreciate your
help.
a blinding glimpse of the obvious
a tremendous glimpse of the obvious
What appears to be the problem with them?
To me as a non-native speaker of English, what's "obvious" is being
seen every day, so why is there a tremendous glimpse of the obvious?
Could you give me some examples or case scenarios where you would say
"I get a tremendous glimpse of the obvious"? Thanks.
contrex
2009-02-01 13:10:12 UTC
Post by Kevin70s
To me as a non-native speaker of English, what's "obvious" is being
seen every day, so why is there a tremendous glimpse of the obvious?
Could you give me some examples or case scenarios where you would say
"I get a tremendous glimpse of the obvious"? Thanks.
1. To say sarcastically that a statement is a "blinding glimpse of the
obvious" sometimes means that it conveys information that everybody
ought to know already, and is therefore (or should be) redundant.

To say "It's a bad idea to run with scissors" is to provide a blinding
glimpse of the obvious.

2. It is sometimes used to convey the idea that a person has had a
sudden flash of insight, has suddenly noticed a fact or possibility
which, although plainly visible (obvious), has not been spotted
previously by anyone.

"Prof Joshua Silver hopes his design will enable a billion people
in the developing world to receive spectacles for the first time
within just over a decade.

A retired Oxford University physics professor, he came up with the
idea in what he describes as a "glimpse of the obvious".

His adaptive glasses are designed to be "tuned" by the wearer to suit
their eyes without the need for a prescription and can help both short-
sighted and long-sighted people.

He set on the idea of developing an adjustable spectacle after a
chance conversation in 1985 when he and a colleague were discussing
optical lenses."
tony cooper
2009-02-01 13:19:13 UTC
Post by Kevin70s
Post by Andrew Heenan
Post by Kevin70s
I came across the following two terms in my reading every once in a
while and was not sure about their meanings. would appreciate your
help.
a blinding glimpse of the obvious
a tremendous glimpse of the obvious
What appears to be the problem with them?
To me as a non-native speaker of English, what's "obvious" is being
seen every day, so why is there a tremendous glimpse of the obvious?
Could you give me some examples or case scenarios where you would say
"I get a tremendous glimpse of the obvious"? Thanks.
The meaning in context may be different, but I would take this to be
sarcasm. If I tell you that you've just provided me with a blinding
glimpse of the obvious, I'd be telling you that you've told me
something that I already knew, and something that should be apparent
to everyone.

You should always provide the context in which a term is used.
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Glenn Knickerbocker
2009-02-03 06:12:21 UTC
Post by Kevin70s
To me as a non-native speaker of English, what's "obvious" is being
seen every day, so why is there a tremendous glimpse of the obvious?
Because the obvious is often overlooked. The point of the expression is
that the person catching the glimpse has been oblivious to what others
around him saw all along.

¬R Blather, Rinse, Repeat.
http://users.bestweb.net/~notr/telecom.html